The Foundry is a 19th Century building where originally fine varnishes were manufactured before it housed The Albra Metal Foundry. Their logo is still visible on the corner of the building at 9th Street and 43rd Avenue (seen below). By 1906, it was one of several steel foundries in the Long Island City area that catered to the needs of New York City’s riverfront manufacturers.
By the 1970’s The Foundry was essentially an abandoned space, housing defunct vehicles and a mountain of debris. In 1980 the Du Val family purchased the property. The family restored and renovated the space to reflect its original industrial character, and began hosting events in 2001. It is the only foundry in the area still standing today.